ss_blog_claim=b6b47dcf87bda39b2b7e72f91125a28b

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How to have a healthy lawn ?(from my own experience)

- Water your lawn in a longer time (1 hr minimum) and deeper coz everyday watering of lawn is not also a good idea. My tip, as long as the grass can release moisture in the morning then it is a sign that I should not water it. I water also in the morning, the best time for me is around 6:00 AM. Why? Watering in the evening might increase fungi or other grass diseases to your lawn coz it takes longer time to dry the soil.

- Do aerating once a month starting April and it is a good habit to do it before applying fertilizer to your lawn. My tip, when it is summer period (June & July), I do it twice a month. Why? Because as lawns age and sustain heavy use from play, etc. compaction can result.


- Fertilize your lawn 3 times a year. My tip, do it on April, July and October. Why? If human body needs vitamins so do our lawn. My tip again. Fertilize 2 days after you had lawn cutting. If you have some yellow spot of grass, try to use organic vegetables (not lawn) fertilizer only at the affected area.

- Lawn mowing once a week on April & May. During hot season (June, July, August) it is advisable to cut just every 2 weeks. My tip, I cut my grass not too short and I see to it that the mower blades should be always sharp before using it.


No comments: